Monday, November 15, 2010

Facebook Goes Nuclear On Google

Forget the David and Goliath comparison, this is Armageddon!  


Today Mark Zuckerberg, unveiled a brand new messaging system that has been rumored about in the press as the "Gmail killer." The plan is to make Facebook an all-in-one stop as users will be able to message to email accounts outside of the Facebook network.  






My first thought was "Wow, sucks to be Myspace."  I recently did a blog on Myspace's rebranding effort and applauded their decision to target an African and Hispanic target market.

 I said though that Myspace always felt one step behind Facebook, and this feels like deja vu.  I really hope Myspace doesn't try to pull off a rushed sub-par clone as they have in the past with many Facebook features.


What got my attention was the fact that users will be able to view Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents even if they don't have them. For me this would make or break a message system.

I saw Social Network a few weeks ago and even if Mark Zuckerberg is the jerk portrayed, the youth in me loves his gall.  I love the internet's ability to shake up old power structures.  I guess it comes with being young and idealistic.

The Y generation might be the trophy generation but we have also dismantled old power structures and turned the push system into a pull system.

The future is ours!

1 comment:

  1. Youth and Idealism! There is nothing I hate more than power systems that are still in place just because they always have been. Those structures will collapse...

    ReplyDelete