Saturday, February 12, 2011

Quit Hiding Behind Facebook!


When I was a kid one of my favorite movies was Jaws.
After that movie, I was fascinated and horrified by the concept of something I couldn't see coming up from the depths to devour my delicious body. Well I just came back from a PR conference put on by the awesome members of the local PRSSA chapter of DePaul University in Chicago and my mind has been blown away by new ideas and concepts.

For instance, almost every young professional we met encouraged us to increase our security settings on Facebook because employers will check your page to make sure you are not leading a double life as a foul mouthed pool hustler before they hire you.

But! What does your profile say about you when your interviewer looks at Facebook and runs into a profile that resembles Fort Knox?

If a picture is worth a thousand words, than what does your profile say when they can only see your profile picture?

For instance, which do you think would give an employer a favorable impression of this dude.

Burt Hendellman
or


Burt Hendellman
Kids: Gene, Matt, and Sally
Studied Engineering at University of Illinois

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Haha that picture is terrifying! I think maybe the second one??? It's hard. Maybe if he looked like that I would just not send a follow up email! bahaha

    ReplyDelete